September 30, 2010

Why Not?

With the bungalow in complete disarray, we should totally repaint the living and dining rooms!   Might as well, right?  According to my calculations, the rooms have not been painted in 5 or 6 years.  I think they are due for an update.

You may remember when I came home with these from the Behr paint display:


Initially I was in the market for a very soft and light shade of tan.  Then I looked around and realized the whole damn living room is some shade of tan.  How did I get bogged down in all this neutral-ness?  I'm feeling like we need something a little different.  Maybe a blue/green?


I waded through the taupes, beiges, blues and greens to narrow down the color contenders.  The favorites were "Chinese Jade" & "Frosted Jade" by Behr.  I purchased the 8 oz. sample size ($3.00 each) to test out the colors.  


I have a confession to make.  This whole paint sample thing is new and confusing.  Usually I look over a few swatches then grab a color and go with it.  "Testing" colors feels like picking out paint like a grown up.  It's sucking all of the FUN out of it (and simultaneously stressing me out).


Earlier this week, I impulsively applied the sample paint to a section of the dining room wall (above) and living room wall (below).  "Chinese Jade" at the top and "Frosted Jade" at the bottom.  The outcome?  Kind of meh, if you ask me.  I don't really care for either shade of "Jade".


Now I know.  At least I didn't paint the whole room that color.  Back to the swatches.  I am agonizing over this decision. Go neutral (as usual) and possibly be bored?  Go bold and possibly hate it in 6 months?  Decisions, decisions.   What's a girl to do?

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way - afraid of color choices because I change my mind so often!

    I like the bottom one, it's a blueish tint which is very neutral, many colors will go with that.

    ReplyDelete